Standards at North Durham Academy are extremely high and this starts with the way your child presents themselves to school. Academy uniform is compulsory and exceptions cannot be made if your child attends school not dressed in full Academy uniform.
We are always conscious of health and safety risks both to the owner and others in the wearing of jewellery. The only jewellery allowed is a wrist watch. Piercings, facial or bodily, are not allowed due to health and safety considerations.
Jewellery is not permitted for health and safety reasons. New piercings will not be accepted as an excuse and immediate removal will be expected.
False nails are not permitted as the effectiveness of hand washing and sanitisation is compromised. Painted nails are also not allowed and students will be told to remove nail polish. If it is gel or acrylic polish, student will be given 24 hours to comply before a sanction is imposed.
Make-up, if worn at all, should be discreetly used and not be excessive. Children will be expected to remove it if we deem it excessive.
Hair styles should be practical, clean and suitable for a working environment. In this Academy, hairstyles representing various cults e.g. punk, Mohican, hair shaved in bands, stripes, initials or dyed in unnatural colours are unacceptable. Eyebrows shaved in stripes are also unacceptable.
There is scope within the policy to consider requests to vary the uniform policy in the following circumstances:
- to meet the needs of any individual student to accommodate their religion or belief;
- to meet the needs of an individual student because of temporary or permanent medical conditions.
Our Uniform policy can be found here
- Grey blazer with academy logo; either fitted (girls) or regular (boys);
- Academy Tie: Year 7-10, purple and grey striped clip on tie. Year 11, grey and purple striped tie;
- White shirt – short or long sleeved with collar;
- Black Academy School skirt is the only approved skirt. Or students can wear Loose fitting trousers that skim the top of the shoe. No leggings. Trousers must have a button and zip fastening at the front of the trouser;
- Black tights no less than 80 denier. Bare legs are not acceptable;
- Black socks where possible;
- Plain black belt that must fit into the belt loop of the trouser, if required.
• An Academy PE T shirt;
• Academy PE tracksuit bottoms. Leggings are NOT ALLOWED;
• Academy PE shorts or skort;
• Black plain sweatshirt. No logo acceptable except the NDA logo;
• Suitable training shoes.
Trousers and Skirts
Please note that chain stores may sell items as school uniform, which are not acceptable at North Durham Academy. We DO NOT ALLOW tight or stretchy leggings, jeans or trousers which look like them.
Black Academy School Skirt – This must be purchased from The School Outfit website.
All shoes should be polishable – leather or mock leather. No canvas/cloth/suede shoes are permitted. In order to clarify our expectations, please see below examples of suitable footwear.
For guidance on sizing – click here – and open the tab labelled ‘Sizing’.
New customers will be asked to register and follow the online instructions to link their account to a chosen school. Once registered (and you have added students to a school) parents can begin to order straight away. Once logged in, parents will need to click on ‘School Store’ in the header of the site. This page will list all of the products associated with the Academy.
Using the online service, you can either choose to have delivery made to your home address or alternatively to the Academy.
Home Delivery Charges – SWI
• Orders over £70 are sent to home free of charge;
• Orders under £70 sent to a home address (or other specified) incur a £4.50 delivery charge.
Delivery to the Academy – is free of charge?
Order placed by 5pm Thursday
Delivery to the Academy Monday
Collection from Student Services Tuesday
To ensure orders placed prior to the start of a new academic year are received, we recommend all orders are to be placed by Monday 2nd August 2022.
SWI offer a 30 day returns policy. Full terms and conditions can be found on their website.
SWI has a dedicated Web Helpdesk. If you are having difficulty with your online account or logging in then please contact the Team on 01928 752610.
Letters to Parents